Friday 4 April 2014

Alma the Husky

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since my last entry! I had a blast at NordicFuzzCon 2014 and I'm already looking forward to the next NFC... :) I will write more about NFC later, I've been too lazy to get my pictures in order.

After NFC I started to work hard on a fursuit partial commission. It's a toony husky head for Twixs on FA, and it's the first toony head I've ever made. It was both challenging and fun, but I still prefer building realistic heads. I guess I made my record in building fursuit heads, it took me about 3 weeks to finish Alma instead of the months I've wasted with mu previous suits. x3

All started with a reference sheet. I drew it as a commission to Twixs. It was interesting to do since it's based on her dog!

After the reference picture was finished I started working on the base. It got done rather painlessly and I was happy with the over all shape and all. 

No I don't like Lapin Kulta or any other beer. It's an old shirt from work and I tend to wear old shirts when I work with fursuits. The foam and faux fur stick to anything! The nose was sculpted with Apoxey Sculpt.
The eyes were definitely the most challenging part of making this fursuit since I had no experience how to do them. I Googled for several "3D follow-me eyes"- tutorials and created these for the head! I used soft foam, buckram for the pupils and acrylic paints. They really have a nice effect and it looks like the eyes follow the viewer. :)
I was surprised how easy it was to fur this head because usually I've had a lot of problems with it. The pieces of fur are sewn together and glued on the head. The markings were quite challenging to do, but everything went well. :D

Before trimming.
After the first trim. I've cleaned all the edges around eyes, nose and mouth.
After final trim, it looks so much different than the first one without trimming! The black areas on the head were too narrow to be sewn on the fur pattern so instead I painted them on with acrylic paints. At this point the head missed neck piece, teeth, tongue and eyelids.
After finishing the head I added a neck piece and made a tail and hand paws for the suit. Alma got finished in time for Twixs and was shipped to her after my little photoshoot.
Meet Alma the Husky!

My dog Olia absolutely loved this fursuit. She just had to hug and kiss it. x3

4 comments:

  1. Wow great work! :D It looks really nice and clean workmanship on it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I actually feel like I'm imrpving with these.. xD But there are still a lot of areas to improve at!

      Delete
  2. Awsome work, it really has that..lifelike feel, with the eyes and all :D Im not into fursuits too much but this is one of those really cool ones that just makes me love them, in all of it's simplicity. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thanks a lot for your kind comment! <3 I'm glad to hear something I made is a reason to love fursuits. :3

      Delete